Aly in Wonderland

The Good Girl

The Good Girl - Mary Kubica
Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin MIRA for sending me a copy to review.

I cannot believe that The Good Girl is Mary Kubica's debut novel. Although I heard it being compared to Gone Girl and my friend's reviews were less than praising, I honestly think this book is amazing. Suspenseful, thrilling and it makes you question everything you read.

"I've been following her for the past few days. I know where she buys her groceries, where she has her dry cleaning done, where she works. I don't know the color of her eyes or what they look like when she's scared. But I will."

When Mia, the daughter of an extremely important and famous judge, goes missing, the entire city is in uproar. Search parties are sent out, family and friends are called and a state-wide alarm is broadcasted. Someone has Mia and everyone wants her back.

Colin Thatcher, our kidnapper, is working for a notoriously nasty group of people. His job? Stalk and kidnap Mia and bring her to them. However, in a twist turn of events, Colin can't sell her to these men and decides to save her.

Don't be fooled though, because not everything is as it seems.

I often complain that multiple POVs take away the true voice from a book. Multiple voices is a gamble in any book and however experienced you are as an author, you can't always pull it off. More often than not, if multiple POVs are made in first person then it is hard to distinguish between the characters.

That wasn't the case with The Good Girl. It's told through the eyes of Detective Hoffman, Mia's mother Eve, Colin Thatcher and, ultimately, Mia. Each voice is easy to distinguish from the other: Detective Hoffman is blunt and to the point, Eve issweet and sad, an adoring mother at a loss, Colin isgruff and brutish, but also calculating and caring and Mia is the bluntest of all.

I loved each and every one of the characters and their different stories. I loved the way they all coped differently with the situation, how deep down they all want to save Mia and how Colin Thatcher was represented as evil through the eyes of all apart from Mia.

Not only do we have different point of views, but it's set in different times, too. We have a "Before" and "After" and, again, it's not hard to tell the difference between the two. For a first time fictional author, Kubica managed to pull it off and I was gripped from page one.

I'm not a huge thriller fan, but if it sounds good, I'll read it. After reading mixed reviews, I can happily say that this is now a favourite of mine. Maybe it's because I still need to read Gone Girl (a comparison that's been made more times than I can count) and therefore my opinion is completely clean, but if a book grips me from page one and I finish it in less than a day, that's a good sign.

Stockholm Syndrome is a real thing and it's a subject I've always been interested in. One might say that Mia and Colin's relationship is one of Stockholm Syndrome but after carefully reading the book, I can honestly say I believe that it had nothing to do with that.

Especially if you read the ending.

HOT DAMN.

4.5 stars.

Review originally posted on my Goodreads. See below for direct link.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1017970587

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones