Aly in Wonderland

Eve

Eve - Anna Carey
“You can love anyone. Love is just caring about someone very deeply. Feeling like that
person matters to you, like your whole world would be sadder without them in it.”

For a while, a long while, I'd honestly given up all hope on the dystopia YA genre. A lot of the books I read seemed to repeat the same boring storyline and when an interesting plot came up, it seemed to lose itself within the shallow folds of what we now call instalove.

[b:Eve|9297774|Eve (Eve, #1)|Anna Carey|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1389188190s/9297774.jpg|14180376] surprised me. Sixteen years after a deadly plague wiped out most of the population, Eve is about to graduate from School and is ready to head over to the second phase, where she and her schoolmates (all girls) will learn a trade and be ready to face their futures. A lot of promises had been made:

- You will learn a trade you will love.
- You will live in the City of Sand.
- You will be safe and happy.

But soon enough, Eve discovers the lie. The campus across the gardens from the School, where they were to supposedly learn their trades, is actually some sort of baby-making factory. All the girls that had graduated the year before, girls Eve had grown up with, are strapped to beds with bulging, pregnant bellies, with skin sallow and sickly.

Terrified and angry, she flees the school and with the help of a classmate she never imagined could happen, they head out into the wilderness, to find out the truth and seek their futures.

[b:Eve|9297774|Eve (Eve, #1)|Anna Carey|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1389188190s/9297774.jpg|14180376], in my eyes, was very believable. Girls taught to fear men, to fear everything, was very real. A plague that could wipe out hundreds of thousands of people was very real. Eve herself was a very real and believable character. She never tried to seem better than the others, nor did she suddenly become a crazy, kickass heroine. In fact, she became the opposite -- although strong and sensible, she came to learn the difference between right and wrong, and how real and harmless love is.

Although there is DEFINITELY a great deal of instalove going on, it actually didn't bother me as much as it did in other books. Having been taught to fear men, that they were monsters and savage, Eve was very careful to go near them. Caleb, however, happens to save Eve's life and proves to her that what she had been taught were lies. Eve often goes back to the teachings of the school as a referral for her consequent actions, and she sees where the lessons came from: she meets men that leer and shoot and massacre, but she also meets the men that are gentle and sweet and take care of her.

As Eve and her friend Arden journey through the wastelands to Califia, a resistance that will help them and possible save their lives, she not only comes to question their pasts, but also their futures, and what she must do next.

I'm not giving the book any justice with my review, but I will say this: anyone who hasn't should give it a chance. I'm not going to lie and tell you it's flawless and perfect, because it definitely isn't, but it's a book worth reading and a book worth enjoying.

Actual rating: 4.5

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones