Aly in Wonderland

The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin How I felt when I began the book

How I felt half way through the book

How I felt at the end of the book

Although I liked it more than [b:The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer|11408650|The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)|Michelle Hodkin|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1336655755s/11408650.jpg|13460686] I still felt like it was missing something.

Basically, it's the same as the first book, but maybe with a little more action:

Mara wakes up in the hospital
Mara leaves hospital
Mara and Noah get close
Something terrible happens
Mara ends up in hospital AGAIN
Gets out
Noah and Mara get close
Something terrible happens
Mara AND Noah end up in hospital
-- INSERT WEIRD REVELATION THAT CONFUSES THE READER BEYOND COMPREHENSION HERE --
Novel ends

So yeah, I guess you can say that the second novel only poses more questions than it answers.

And at points, it's VERY predictable.

We all know Noah is super-rich and can throw money at everything to get what he wants, but he then uses his mega-mogul title to give Mara a bodyguard.

"I'm going to have some people watch your house."
Noah seemed calm. Relaxed. Which only added to my frustration. "My parents would probably notice, don't you think?"
"Not these men. They're with a private security firm and they're very, very good. My father uses them."

And all I could think was, really . Seriously, REALLY? I've seen this over, over , and over again. I knew that it would happen and, to be honest, it frustrated me. If someone was watching MY house, I think I would probably find out at some point, no matter how good they are. Mara lives in the suburbs, so anything new would look extremely out of place.

The predictability just goes down hill from there. When Mara is admitted to a Monday to Friday program for those with 'problems', guess who she sees again?

YEAH, JAMIE. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES. WOOHOO. HURRAH. YIPPEE-DO-DAH.

Predictable as HELL.

This novel is also cheesier than the first one!

Check these out

"Well!" Mr. Robins said, clapping his hands together. "Now that that's setted, I've set you up for a tour with Phoebe Raynard, another student at Horizons. "Yes," he said, nogging meaningfully, "everyone is a student here. A student of life"

Seriously. He said that. I'm serious.

"Not the way you're thinking," he said, the shadow of a smile on his lips. "In music, consonant chords are points of arrival. There's no tension," he tried to explain. "Most pop music hooks are consonant, which is why most people like them. They're catchy but interchangeabe. Boring. Dissonant, intervals, however, are full of tension," he said, holding my gaze. "You can't predict which way they're going to go. It makes limited people uncomfortable -- frustrated, because they don't understand the point, and people hate what they don't understand. But the ones who get is," he said, lifting a hand to my face, "find it fascinating. Beautiful." He traced the shape of my mouth with his thumb. "Like you."

Oh my God, I know, it's totally cute and, I'm not going to lie to you or myself, I LOVED it, but it's also totally cheesy.

I ALSO loved this:

"I'm too selfish to leave you," I said. Noah pulled back so I could see his smile. "I'm too selfish to let you."

AWWWW!

By the end of the novel, I got annoyed and frustrated when it turns out that they were all part of an experiment, yadda yadda yadda, and how on the Horizons course she wasn't the only one blah blah blah, there are hundreds out there like you, Mara blah blah blah.

*Sighs* I PREDICTED THIS FROM THE START. THROW ME A CURVEBALL, DO SOMETHING UNEXPECTED

THIS is my favourite sentence from the entire book:

"They rattled the cage to see if I'd bite. When they released me, they'd see that the answer was yes."

InnnnnnTEEEEENSE.

I'm going to stop here, because I realise I'm rambling, so I'll edit when I feel more coherent.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones