Aly in Wonderland

Divergent

Divergent - Veronica Roth WARNING: SPOILERS

Okay, so dystopian fiction had never, ever been my forte and had never been something I usually read. In fact, the Divergent trilogy was SO FAR AWAY from the type of books I normally read, that the fact that I found myself reading all three books within the space of three days is absolutely, well, shocking.

And I loved it. Actually, I ADORED it. Set in near future America, where the city of Chicago is used as a social experiment, every sixteen year old has to go through they 'Choosing Ceremony': where they either stay within their birth 'factions' or transfer to a new faction. It goes as follows: Abnegation, the faction of selflessness; Erudite, the faction of, basically, intelligence and knowledge; Amity, the faction of produce and Dauntless, the faction of bravery.

Sixteen year old Beatrice Prior cannot contain any further the idea of moving from her birth faction of Abnegation to the Dauntless faction, where, filled with fast paced adventure, action and romance, it's completely out of her comfort zone and opens her eyes to a whole new world.

And to a whole new species of man. She finds out she is Divergent, a 'special' being, basically, and being Divergent means, consequently, you die if anyone finds out. Intense, right?

Okay, so what I liked about the novels:
1) It's a genre that is deeply difficult to master. Too much, and it's ridiculous and disgustingly unbelievable. Too little and it's ridiculous and humorously unbelievable, but Veronica Roth has managed to get it just right. So much so, that it's perfect.

2) Beatrice Prior. I fucking love her. She went from having to act selfless and put others before herself to arming herself with guns and knives, deceive those who underestimated her and her bravery is just something that I admire wholeheartedly. She's fucking awesome, okay? Like, seriously awesome. She's my heroine, if I ever had one, and if it comes down to asking this very questions, yes, I do admire her.

3) The idea of Factions. WHY HAS NO ONE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BEFORE?! It's such a perfect, flawless idea that the government would, in fact, put human beings in so-called experiments to manipulate our genes and make a better world that when I first read about the Factions, I thought to myself, "Gee. That actually makes total sense. Why WOULDN'T they do that?"

4) The action. Who doesn't love a bit of faction-on-faction massacre? Well, it turns out, I do. I FREAKING LOVE IT. It's hot, it's fast paced, it's unyielding and most importantly it's exhilarating. It keeps you on your toes, makes you delve right into the middle of a fiery battle between people that used to be friends and people who had always hated each other from the word go. Knives and guns and special serums and I better stop here before I get ahead of myself...

And lastly, 5) SERUMS. Injections designed to make you enter a simulation of all your fears. Injections to wipe or alter your memory. And there are serums for death as well. Each Faction has a designated serum, and each and every time the reader reads about a serum in action, it's just as amazing as the first time it happened.

And what I didn't like so much:

1)Four. Or Tobias. Don't get me wrong, I think I liked him just as much as Beatrice (Tris) in the first book, but by the second book I started to grow a feeling of apprehension towards him, mostly because he went from the hot, dark, broody instructor harbouring feelings for Divergent Tris to self pitying, angry, vengeful... child who didn't want to let go of Tris and let her do what she wanted. But by the end of the third book, he changes back again, which is a shame considering how the story ends.

2) David, from the Government. He's just a pain in the ass, a vengeful bastard with nothing but the will to hurt people in his heart. Basically, he's a dick. He's a fucking dick.

But what I LOVED the most was the ending of the trilogy. Unexpected and heartbreaking, it was exactly the opposite of how all these kinds of novels end. The ending itself made me clutch the book harder, squeeze my eyes shut and think no no no no no. But although painful, it was beautifully perfect.

So all in all, I give this book 5/5 stars, and recommend anyone who is willing to open their hearts and mind to read this book. Well done, Veronica Roth. You made me into the fangirl I never wanted to be.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones