Aly in Wonderland

Awaken

Awaken - Katie Kacvinsky Actual rating: 3.0

Oh me, oh my!

A good, intelligently written book by [a:Katie Kacvinsky|4143266|Katie Kacvinsky|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1303113462p2/4143266.jpg], [b:Awaken|8665876|Awaken (Awaken, #1)|Katie Kacvinsky|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1311474171s/8665876.jpg|13537440] is a dystopia novel based around one sole fact: the impact of technology in the future.

It's already visible now how much people depend on their technology: to keep in contact with friends/family, to pass the time, to solve arithmetic problems, for gaming, shopping, watching films etc. It's very hard to find the teenager/adult that doesn't know their way around technology and feel like this if they don't have it:

So I guess I can say it delves into a subject quite close to the truth.

Now, for the review!

Are you ready?

TOO BAD.

Maddie Freeman lives in a technology-dependant world where everything, including school, is done on line. She doesn't know who she really talks to (her identity is also kept hidden on line), she doesn't know what real grass feels like or what real trees look like, or even what fire feels like.

She's your typical Mary Sue. The only difference is her father is the creator of DS (Digital School) and the person who created the mayhem of technology-based living in the first place.

Enter, Justin! He's a bad boy (of course), 'hot' (duh) and is the instigator of the rebellions... nat--

Well of course! Justin and his gang members, along with their families are so opposed to Digital School and living their lives online that they nurture a rebellion to take down the fool that created said idea. All they need is, you got it! Maddie!

Huzzah!

Alas it is not meant to be!

Maddie's association with said rebels (and her icky past with the law) immediately puts her family's reputation in danger and she is shipped off to 'rehab'. Or rather, prison. Along the way, dun DUN DUNNNNNN! Justin saves the day!

So yeah, you could say it's your typical, overdone, overused, overeveryotherwordyoucanthinkof, but something about this book made it likeable.

Don't get me wrong, Maddie is a boring, shabby narrator that whines and bitches about everything far too much and I picture Justin's no-lady-friends idea to be for this reason:

But I guess it's because it struck quite close to home (the technology thing, anyway) and it's realistic enough -- technology advances every day, and what if this is what our future really looks like?

Because of its appeal, people will venture less and less into the world and will rather stay at home. After all, they wouldn't be missing anything there.

So I guess I'm still dwelling on whether I REEEEALLY like it or just 'meh'-like it, but it was definitely an enjoyable read (if not predictable at times) and would recommend it to those who are fans of dystopia.

Now, have a picture of a cute kitten:

Aw, man. Gets me every time!

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones