Aly in Wonderland

City of Heavenly Fire

City of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare DNF at 30%

In the thirty percent I read, nothing happened apart from a bunch of angsty woe-is-me crying on Jace's behalf and angsty woe-is-me on Clary's behalf. They've spent more time with their hands up each other's shirts than dealing with the problems at hand.

Really slow, boring and disappointed (although I was sure it was going to be disappointing when I began reading it). Who knows, I may start reading it again one day in the distant future... but probably not.

Reasons I stopped reading:

-"Your boyfriend's crazy," he said to Clary. "Yeah, but he's hot," said Clary. - Everything that's wrong with YA characters these days. He's a raging psychopath who will hurt you and crush you! Oh, he's hot?! He must be a keeper then!

-"Alec shrugged. "Look who's talking. 'Oh, I love her. Oh, she's my sister. Oh why, why, why-'" - This is the first count of teenie angst.

-"Clary had been there when Sebastian had created the first of the Endarkened. She had seen the blankness in their eyes, the fury with which they'd fought. They terrified her. "They're not Shadowhunters anymore," she added in a low voice. "They're not people."" BUT SIX PAGES LATER... "She knew she should fling herself after them when they ran, end them with a blade to the back, or a slice to the throat, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. They still looked like Nephilim." Clary, sort your life out please.

-"She thought back suddenly to the rather distressing Thanksgiving dinner at Luke's when Jace, on being asked to cut the turkey, had laid into the bird with a sword until there had been little left but turkey flakes." What the fuck? Is he completely inhuman? Does he not know what Thanksgiving is or, God forbid, what a TURKEY is? He lives in the US for fuck's sake!

-""Sebastian is expecting exactly this response," Jace said desperately. "If he's come with only twenty warriors, then there's a reason, and he'll have backup-"" FIVE PAGES LATER... "Everything had happened in a rush: the realization that there were twice as many Endarkened as they had counted on." *facepalm* You fucking knew this before going in the damn Portal so quit your whining.

I could go on all day, but I'm going to stop here before I tear into this book properly, because it might turn into a bloodbath.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones