Aly in Wonderland

Black Beast

Black Beast - Nenia Campbell Read more reviews at The Beautiful World of Books!

"Catherine would have had to break the oath she had made to herself so long ago, when she heard the tales of atrocities committed by her kind: that she would never hunt a human - ever.

All because the little shithead wanted to get lucky."

I've decided to keep the solid 3 star rating, because it means "I liked it". Which I did. Immensely.

However, I didn't like it as much as dear Nenia's other works, which is a bummer. I don't know why, it might be because I enjoy her suspense/thriller stories more than this one, which is paranormal/supernatural.

This is what I liked:

- The premise. Catherine Pierce is a shape-shifter who hasn't quite 'settled' yet. Considering she should have settled years ago, in her community this makes her a 'freak'. Someone you should steer clear from, because they're not normal. The premise is exciting and new - you not only have a 'freak' shape-shifter, but you also have an evil witch and his familiar, someone who's trying to killer who isn't the witch; there's black magic, folklore, legends and a beautifully written prophecy which is all yet to unfold. Exciting!

-Catherine Pierce. I loved her. She's sassy, rebellious and refuses to back down. She does what she wants and tries to live her freedom to the fullest, without breaking any Laws (which is difficult).

-The Pierce family. This is what I love about Nenia. She writes books about teenagers whose families are actually present. We get a good insight to Catherine's home life with her brother and parents.

-David.Because he turns into a cute raccoon and who doesn't like raccoons?!Because he's sexy. Sexy, smexy. And nice, obviously. *winks pervertedly*

-The writing. It flows beautifully, reels you in and keeps you trapped until you've finished devouring it. If it hadn't been for the fact that I had to work, I'm sure I would've finished Black Beast that same day. I adored the prophecy and the legends/history of the witches and shape-shifters. The information was scattered loosely enough for me to be absorbed by the story and learn at the same time, but not enough to bore someone to tears, which is always a plus.

What I didn't like:

-Sharon, Catherine's friend. She reminded me of my enemy back when I attended school. She's the polar opposite of Catherine, but not in a good way: she's annoying and mean and I didn't like how she constantly called Catherine a bitch or a skank. *Angry face* Catherine needs a better friend.

-The insta-relationship. David and Catherine had only really been talking properly for a week before they were smooching and becoming an item. After their history, I would've liked a bit more build-up before it officially happened, especially since we only see David two or three times in the book.

-Nothing really happened. Don't get me wrong, this isn't necessarily a BAD thing. I know there's going to be more books, so the first one is sort of filler - meet the characters, the premise, learn more about the prophecy/history, give it a nice build-up. However throughout the story I was waiting for something to happen, but apart from a bit of tussling with a witch and releasing a bunch of crickets, nothing happened.

-The goddamn cliffhanger. Screw you, Nenia. You and your damn cliffhangers! I was going to read the second one anyway, but now... no pressure. But I kinda need the second book real fast. *wink wink* No, cliffhangers also aren't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm such an impatient person. Damn waiting!

Overall, I liked this book and can't wait to read the second one. So a solid three stars it is.

PS

Seriously. Don't get on my bad side.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones