Aly in Wonderland

Fearscape

Fearscape - Nenia Campbell Disclaimer: I won this book on Booklikes. However this did not taint my perception of the book. Also thank you, Nenia!

"People only picked the pretty, sweet-smelling flowers. The ones with thorns were left alone."

Valerian Kimble is fourteen years old. She's an artist, a dedicated runner and is too nice for her own good. For some odd reason, she catches the attention of Gavin Mecozzi -- and he weaves a trap she can't escape.

I absolutely adored Val's character. She might be a bit of a Mary Sue, but the fact that she's fourteen gives her leeway to be so. She's still chid-like and naive, traits you shouldn't forget or overestimate whilst reading this book.

Ms Campbell has weaved a story of deception, of betrayal and romance gone wrong so well that I finished this book in one sitting and look forward to reading the next one. The only slight problem I had with the story was Val's age -- a fourteen year old dating an eighteen year old just seems wrong, but I quickly understood why she had to be so young and in the end it worked incredibly well.

The story kept me on my toes the entire time and everything Val felt, I did too. She's an incredibly easy character to like and sympathise with and I saw a lot of my fourteen year old self in her. The emotions I felt were the same I would feel if my younger sister was in the same position.

Gavin Mecozzi, YOU'RE A FREAK.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones