Aly in Wonderland

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

“Tomorrow will be better.”
“But what if it’s not?” I asked.
“Then you say it again tomorrow. Because it might be. You never know, right? At some point, tomorrow will be better."

Against my better judgement, I've decided to give this book 3.5 stars rather than the 2 I'd originally planned on.

The thing is... I really liked this book! I know, I know I complained about it loads in my status updates, but that's because I try and try to like Matson's MCs and it never happens. They're always very shallow, selfish and act like victims, which I can't stand in RL let alone in a book.

You see, my dad is my best friend. We're incredibly close and I can't see my life without him. He knows everything about me, stuff that I can't even tell my mum and I trust him with my life. So maybe it's because Matson likes to kill off the fathers in her books, or maybe because the subject of losing a dad brings my worst fears to life, but I struggle a lot with the way the MCs act.

Admittedly, [b:Amy and Roger's Epic Detour|7664334|Amy and Roger's Epic Detour|Morgan Matson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327989202s/7664334.jpg|10261814] isn't what I expected. In fact, I'm not sure what I expected, but the overall book wasn't too bad and I really liked Roger's characters -- his breakup with Hadley obviously affected him and he was very open about it. Whereas Amy was incredibly cryptic (or tried to be) about the car accident, even though it was glaringly obvious from the beginning what happened.

I love a good road trip book and it was executed perfectly, especially the little snapshots of Amy's scrapbook which included things like receipts, tickets, a details playlist for each city they went to etc.

And there was no insta-love. I didn't understand the romance in the book considering it comes so late and it's not really "romance" but it was incredibly refreshing not reading about how much Amy and Roger suddenly love each other. It was sweet, short and left a lot to the imagination, which sometimes is the best thing.

I would definitely recommend this book.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones