Aly in Wonderland

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden)

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden) - Julie Kagawa Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

"You will always be a monster - there is no turning back from it. But what kind of monster you become is entirely up to you."

I praise the literary world for giving us [a:Julie Kagawa|2995873|Julie Kagawa|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1257816454p2/2995873.jpg] and her thrilling, fast-paced, emotional Blood of Eden series. In my last review, I thanked her for restoring my faith in YA vampires and dystopia and I shall do it again today.

The Blood of Eden books are nothing like you've read before, and that's a guarantee. Not only are we given a heroine, Allie Sekemoto, who rivals Katniss Everdeen in everything from strength to morality, but we're given a set of characters and a setting that are different and refreshing to your usual vampire mumbojumbo.

Summary:

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.

In the second instalment of the Blood of Eden trilogy, we pick up where we left off in [b:The Immortal Rules|10215349|The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)|Julie Kagawa|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323357921s/10215349.jpg|15114912]. Allie is on a mission to find Kanin, her creator, and later to get rid of Sarren, the psychotic vampire hell bent on getting his revenge on Kanin and the rest of the world.

This book is bloodier, more violent, more intriguing and exciting than the first one and although it suffers a mild form of Middle Book Syndrome it stays on track and it's easy to follow Allie in her journey and fights.

Setting:

To find Kanin, save him and bring an end to the new Red Lung virus that seems to be popping up, Allie & Co. must return to where it all began... New Covington, the Fringe, where Allie lived the majority of her life.

But that's not all...

Story & Characters:

Not only do we re-meet Kanin once again, but Allie makes a new, unlikely ally in the form of Jackal.

Remember him? The crazy raider army leader from Chicago? You know, the one who murdered Darren and was responsible for the deaths of other well loved characters in the first book? The one who stuck a pole through Allison's stomach and left her to die?

Yeah. That vampire. Turns out, Jackal is Allie's blood relative, thanks to Kanin who Turned him a couple of decades before. Awkward, right?

You have no idea.

The relationship between Allie and Jackal is more than tense. It's frigid, cold with an undercurrent of revenge that makes you shiver. As time goes on though, they both build a friendship (or hateship) that is amusing and effective and you can clearly see where both characters stand on the morality scale:

"Now we're going to save a bunch of dirty meatsacks from a bunch of dirty cannibals? Why don't we rescue some orphaned kittens and put food out for stray puppies while we're at it?"

I sheathed my blade and glared at him. "And here I almost thought you weren't a complete bastard."

"Well, that's your mistake, not mine.”

"This is the most I have ever been in the sewers in one place. If someone had said to me a month ago, 'Hey, Jackal, guess where you'll be spending most of your time in New Covington? Ankle-deep in shit!' I would've ripped their lips off."

But when the going gets tough, and Jackal needs to make a choice, he suprises you at every turn. If you expect him to do something, trust me, he will do the total opposite, sometimes out of spite, and sometimes because maybe, deep down, he has a conscience.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

We also bump into loverboy Zeke again. Bet you're shocked, huh? I was too. What kind of lunatic leaves Eden, a place of dreams, a place of safety, to venture back into a plague and vampire infested world and risk his life for a couple of ungrateful humans?

Oh right. That guy.

I didn't much like Zeke in the first book, and it took me a long while to warm up to his presence in this one, but for what it's worth, appearances are deceptive and he's not just a... what does Jackal call humans? A bloodsack? Yeah, Zeke isn't just a bloodsack.

Turns out Zeke is none other than the cure for the Red Lung virus and, maybe, even the cure for Rabidism altogether. Isn't that lucky?! He's a special snowflake!

Why I gave this 3 stars:

Aside from it being a bit slow in the beginning, I would've happily rated this 4/4.5 stars if it weren't for the development of the instalove turning to insta-amour right off the bat (within three or four pages of Zeke and Allie reuniting) and a few plot conveniences that made me twitch. So for that, I give it 3/3.5 stars because I really enjoyed it and maybe I was shipping Jackal and Allie for a while before I remembered they were, ew, siblings. But Jackal would make a better love interest for Allie than Zeke could. *rolls eyes*

Full (better) review coming up on The Beautiful World of Books later this week!

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones