Aly in Wonderland

On the Fence

On the Fence - Kasie West Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

Sometimes we expect more that people are capable of giving at the moment.

Awww. That was cute! And adorable. Perfect read when it's a cool, lazy Sunday. Perfect read if you want your cheeks to hurt from smiling and your throat to be raw after all the "awww" you keep saying. In fact, it's one of those books that is a ginormous walking cliché. But what do you expect, when the blurb says "being raised by a single dad and three older brothers has its perks."

The Summary:

Charlie Reynolds is what you would call a tomboy. She can "outrun, outscore, and outwit every boy she knows—including her longtime neighbor and honorary fourth brother, Braden" but has no idea how to be a girly-girl. The kind of girl that attracts boys because of her looks and not because she can play better football than them. A job at a clothing store and some make up modelling changes all that, though, and Charlie begins to struggle with who she really is.

Clichés, clichés everywhere!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good, well written cliché and Kasie West did really well with bringing out how Charlie feels like a "burly girl" rather than a "pretty girl". There was a great dynamic between Charlie and her brothers (and Braden) and her father, just like there was an awkwardness to her hanging out with girls her age and going shopping and doing things she thought normal girls did to attract boys. There is, of course, as always, a 'dark' past or secret (whatever), but it doesn't rule the book, which is awesome! We're not reminded every other page that Charlie is speshul just that, you know, her family isn't quite complete. It's a love story, and I'm glad that Ms West didn't try to sell it as anything else.

You're giving me the funnies, hurrhurr!

This story is full of quick wit and humour. There is never a dull moment and Charlie can definitely hold her own when there's banter in the room. In fact, she doesn't think twice about jumping on the bandwagon and being one of the lads. I like that about her and I like how her life isn't all about boys. Her family comes first and foremost, and if you can't handle that, you're out.

"Hey, guys," I said. "Don't be idiots. This is Evan. Evan, the angry-looking one is Jerom, the constipated-looking one is Nathan and the goofball on the right is Gage."
Gage laughed. "Constipated, Nathan? We said to look fierce."

Gage, Jerom and Nathan are the protective older brothers every girl asks for and I found myself laughing at their lame jokes more often than I like to admit. Everything worked.

The Romance:

Okay, okay, you got me. There's instalove here. Sort of. Kinda. But it's so sweet, how Charlie and Braden pine after each other, that I couldn't help but squeak a little when they said those damned three words. It was a perfect moment. Really well executed.

Plus there's none of that backstabbing/jealousy-making/slutty acts that YA books seem to drown in these days. It was all very blunt and the way Charlie handles romance (or tries to) doesn't make you want to high five her in the face with a skyscraper. She IS naive, but you can buy that because she's "one of the lads" and therefore doesn't really know any better.

Braden, on the other hand, mhmmm.

I'd tap that. Fo' sho'.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones