Aly in Wonderland

This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl

This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl - Esther Earl, Lori Earl, Wayne Earl, John Green I skim-read this book shortly after I finished reading The Fault in Our Stars and I can say, with absolute certainty, that it really isn't anything special. I can also say with absolute certainty that if it weren't for Esther and John Green's relationship or whatever, this book would never have been published. It's a collection of diary entries, medical updates and things her family and friends had to say about her, which brings me to my questions:

- Esther didn't do anything completely inspiring and like Matt stated in his review it didn't 'teach' us anything, apart from how to be a good person, which people already know how to do.

- Millions of teenagers a year die of cancer. It's an absolute tragedy. Some of them have dreams of having their story told, but they don't. Why? Because they don't know someone in the industry. Esther Early knew John Green (and you can almost hear Green in this book) so how does this make it fair? What if their is a boy or girl dying of cancer, who has done something truly inspiring with their life out there, but their story isn't told because they don't know someone famous? Why was there such a big hype about Esther, when people like Stephen Sutton, the boy who raised a crazy amount of money for charity whilst dying of cance only get a mention on the news? Why doesn't HE get a book? I'll tell you why -- because Esther knew John Green and, as many have stated, this could easily have been a "money grab" situation. Where John Green spoke so much of the inspiration that was Esther, the publishing company probably had dollar signs in their eyes and a new way to milk The Fault in Our Stars for all it was worth. In fact "This Star Won't Go Out" and "The Fault in Our Stars" are sold as package deals in many stores I frequent. Coincidence? I think not.

Okay, so I suppose you think I'm a huge bitch for talking so scantily about a girl who died of cancer. I'm not being a bitch, I'm stating my opinion freely (which I'm allowed to do, right?). Unfortunately, a lot of people die of cancer every day and I honestly did not see where the hype was coming from with this book. I was disappointed and surprised, but it dawned on me that big fans of John Green would eat up this hocus pocus without thinking twice. Considering I didn't enjoy The Fault in Our Stars at all, I was ready to give this book 5 stars, right off the bat. Unfortunately, it left me confused and annoyed and I didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe even less than TFIOS.

For the record, I am not being a cold hearted bitch. It's just the way the world works. It's not about how you work/write/whatever, it's who you know.

You can read more of Stephen and Stephens Story here: http://stephensstory.co.uk/

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones