Aly in Wonderland

Dangerous Girls

Dangerous Girls - Abigail Haas
Wouldn't we all look guilty, if someone searched hard enough?

After some careful consideration on how I'm going to word this review without revealing major spoilers (call me Subtle McSubtleton) I've decided to construct it as Another Episode Inside Aly's Brain. It worked well last time, so who knows!

So, Dangerous Girls, eh? Main thoughts!

This is a mind-fuck if I ever saw one. This blew my brain up worse than [b:The Good Girl|18812405|The Good Girl|Mary Kubica|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388340126s/18812405.jpg|26747961] and [b:Wicked Games|10719342|Wicked Games (Games, #1)|Jill Myles|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1321199027s/10719342.jpg|15629971]. The problem I had with Wicked Games, however, was that it spent more time annoying me than screwing around with my head. Dangerous Girls takes "mind fuck" to a whole new level.

What kind of mind fuck?

So you know when I studied psychology in school, and we did that paper on illusions and how the brain works them out?

Your forbidden experiment paper?

That's right! I studied The Milgram Experiment and, although it was about obedience, and how far a human being can be pushed to obey, it was also all about illusion. The "victim" in the next room was an actor -- he wasn't really being electrocuted, he wasn't really in a disgusting amount of pain. It was screwy, though, to see that someone can be tricked into thinking that he was and how much pain the "experimenter" could be pushed to inflict that pain. I think the best way to explain it is to watch this clip of Law & Order, featuring Robin Williams.

It was all an illusion. Stabler wasn't really being electrocuted, there wasn't really a bomb. It just shows how easily a person could be led astray -- and far away from the truth.

Anyway, we were told to create, on paper, our own "Forbidden Experiment" and I did it on illusions and how they impact a person, by pretending, on paper, always, to inject my subjects with a deadly dose of poison. They had 12 hours to either give up their lives or give up someone else's life. Whilst researching and writing it, it dawned on me that people will do literally anything to survive: whatever it takes.

That's Dangerous Girls. Everything you read, everything you see, is an illusion. As corny as that sounds, it's true. Upon a quick skim through again, there are so many clues I didn't notice bef--

You're going dangerously close to spoiler territory. Move along!

Damn.

The premise.

Seven friends are on holiday in Aruba -- the spring break of everyone's dreams. Sun, sex, booze, partying. There's no need to worry about school or family or life. Just tanning and drinking. Sounds amazing, right?

It is... until Elise, Anna's best friend, winds up dead. Stabbed thirteen times in the most brutal manner, the teens' holiday suddenly turns into a nightmare. But who's at fault?

Anna's in jail. Her boyfriend, Tate, is under house arrest. The rest of the friends are all wallowing and pointing fingers. No one knows what happened, but they have a pretty good idea.

Was it the strange market boy, who stalked Elise during their holiday?

Was it the multi-millionaire playboy, who Elise had rejected scathingly?

Or was it something darker, a cold-blooded killer?

So what did you think?

It was so good. It's gone straight on my "faves" shelf. Brilliantly written and you can feel Haas's passion filter through the pages. You can feel how wrapped up in the story the author was, and that's so rare to see, but it worked incredibly well. The fast pacing sweeps you off your feet and the next thing you know, it's the last chapter and you still can't put it down.

View points?

The story takes place at different times. We've got "The Trial", "Junior Year", and "Vacation". Junior year is where we see Anna's and Elise's friendship building, it then switches to the trial, where all the evidence screams at Anna and Tate, and then it switches, again, to their vacation -- before the murder. At times, you can get a bit lost if you're not paying attention, but it's a smooth switch.

With every page you turn, more evidence mounts up, more clues pop up. Suddenly, you're doubting everyone in the story, including the main detective. Suddenly, you have no clue what to think and your brain is dangerously close to exploding territory.

So why only four stars?

There were a few typos which, in the beginning, I didn't notice. As the story got close to the end, the typos were literally two a page, and they kept pulling me out and making me lose that feeling I had with it. However, it only gave me confirmation that Haas is really passionate about it, because, as a writer, it's one of those, "NEED TO GET THE WORDS OUT NOW" thing, where you make typos because you're too wrapped up in what's happening inside your head.

Also, I wish it hadn't been labelled as YA. As Emily May said in her review, there's a lot that can make parent's eyes twitch -- sex, drugs, alcohol, murder. Not something you want your 13 year old kid reading, right?

Moral of the story?

Don't fucking cheat. Seriously, boys. Keep it in your pants, will you?

Pre-Review.

The first thing you should know is that this is the kind of book you can't say much about, without spoiling the rest. So I'm going to be brief and, hopefully, spoiler-free.

As Kat said in her on-point review, this is a psychological mindfuck. I mean, you think you know? You don't. You think it makes sense? Haha, you funny fucker -- think again. This book has literally screwed with my brain since page one and, frankly, I believe a re-read is on the horizon, just to see if I can pick out any clues from early one.

Don't let the pretty cover fool you. This, if based on cover alone, would seem like a ditzy, criminal chick book. It's not. It's deep and scary and really fucking creepy, if you think about it. Nothing is at it seems. None of it will make sense, and then it all will, just as quickly.

I mean, the first thing I did when I finished the book was text Inge: "I finished the book. I'm lost for words. Speechless. Fucking hell."

I still am. I still don't know what to think or feel. It's one of those books that will leave you reeling for DAYS.

It was exactly what I needed to get me out of the slump.

I applaud you, Abigail Haas. Thanks for breaking my brain.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones