Aly in Wonderland

Throne of Glass II

Throne of Glass II - Sarah J. Maas
“The rest of the world quieted into nothing. In that moment, after ten long years, Celaena looked at Chaol and realised she was home.”

You know you have a serious problem when a book is incredibly good, but you're still too interested in what Chaol Westfall looks like naked.

Yeah, he's definitely taking up a spot on my book boyfriend shelf.

This book is not without its faults, but it was so damn good, so well written, that I couldn't care less. It's been a while since I could overlook the flaws and see a book for what it is -- exciting, fast paced, fun and with an actual plot.

The problem I have with trilogies is that, more often than not, I'll find myself reading the second book and being bored. I can safely say that this book does not fit in the category. It picks up a month or two after Throne of Glass but it doesn't skim over the fact that Celaena has a job to do, and she's running out of time.

Where Throne of Glass focused heavily on the forming love triangle and the constant, relentless drama, Crown of Midnight brings out all the emotions that are buried deep somewhere within my chest. I'm not cold-hearted, but it takes a lot to make me feel true sadness or sympathy for characters in a book. With this one, I was in a constant state of agony. It was pure torture. Actually, this GIF explains it pretty well:

The Plot:

Torn between her protectors -- a captain and a prince -- and battling a dark force far greater than the king, Celaena must decide what she will fight for: her liberty, her heart or the fate of a kingdom...

Celaena Sardothien is now the King's Champion. Her job? To slay, and bring the king proof, his enemies. It ranges from anyone to anyone. A rising rebellion? Dispatch them. Treacherous word of mouth? Find the culprit and bring me his head. Up until now, though, Celaena has faked each and every one of those deaths, instead giving the targets a chance to disappear forever, within a time scale, or she will kill them.

When the king gives her the details of a rising rebellion, Celaena knows time is running out, and she needs to get to the bottom of all those questions, and quickly.

She never thought it would be easy - far from it - but she didn't expect those obstacles: pain, betrayal and a neverending loss.

When I picked up Crown of Midnight at the store, I knew I'd either love it or hate it. It's safe to say that I love the shit out of this book, and have bookmarked all my favourite passages. It's because it doesn't skim over what needs to be done and is fast paced. For a 400 something page book, it flew by quickly and whenever I thought, "Just one more chapter," it would end on a cliffhanger which, of course, meant I had to read more now. There is a point to this book, but there are hundreds of twists and turns you take on the journey to get there. Whenever one problem is resolved, another crops up, and the crazy thing is, once you think about it, it all begins to make sense.

The twists? Some, I saw coming. Others completely floored me.

The Characters:

Talk about character development! Although Maas still doesn't show us Celaena as a true assassin, a cold-blooded killer, she grows as a character, and as a human being. What I love about her is her personality: she's cool and detached and makes the most hilarious remarks and comebacks, but when needs be, her emotions rule her being... making her human and easily someone I can relate to. Yet, she knows when enough is enough, and knows when to put an end to her misery and get to work.

A familiar, dark fire rippled in her gut, spreading through her, dragging her down into an abyss without end.
Celaena Sardothien stood from her chair.

Also, once I pictured Celaena as this:

I loved her even more.

Chaol.

I love him, and I'm rooting the CelaenaxChaol ship so hard, I'm scared it will sink. Although he looks out for her (sometimes too much, and it can seem insulting considering, you know, Celaena is an assassin and a good one at that) he's also willing to battle at her side. He doesn't put her on a crystal, pwetty pedestal and does all the dirty work for her, but he sticks by her and helps her when she needs to be helped. He doesn't get between her and her job, even though he disagrees with how she does it half the time, but he's still there whenever she needs someone.

I adored the way the romance grew between them. There's no insta-love involved, they don't even say the words, and when it happened, I squealed like a little kid at Christmas and danced around the office.

His relationship with Dorian is rickety at the moment, because of the love triangle but his loyalty knows no bounds.

And, sometimes, that's what gets him in trouble.

Dorian.

There's only so much emo, weepy, self-pitying bullshit I can handle, and Dorian presses all those buttons. For 50% of the book, he's wallowing in misery because the best friend got the girl therefore he can't have the viddly. In 30% he wallows because the fact that Celaena feels betrayed means he can't get the viddly.

But, hello there, character development! In the last 20%, Dorian completely smashes out of his comfort zone and starts doing stuff. He researches, studies, talks and questions people in order to find answers. He doesn't sit idly by, watching others do the work for him, but he gets up and finds the answers himself, and I admire him for that.

And, ugh, because of it, I actually like him.

Did NOT see that coming.

Team Chaol!

Yep, I don't care that Dorian isn't a snivelling brat any more, I'm still team Chaol.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones