Aly in Wonderland

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles)

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles) - Gena Showalter DNF at page 40.

I can't get over the character's narrative, the awkward descriptions and the forced interactions. Everything is just so blah. It has that tired, strained writing that makes it difficult to read because it keeps pulling you out of the story and whacking you over the head with it's stupidity.

I've heard many good things about [a:Gena Showalter|48192|Gena Showalter|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1355785033p2/48192.jpg] and her urban fantasy series so I was looking forward to reading an Alice in Wonderland re-telling... with zombies.

Okay, so if you didn't know this already, then I should probably tell you: I'm a HUGE Alice in Wonderland fan and, sometimes, it borders on obsession. For Christmas two years ago, my sister bought me the limited edition picture books of Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass. I've read them from cover to cover and my first tattoo (which I will get one day, I promise) is of the White Rabbit's pocket watch on my calf. Like this:

And I also want this:

So when I found Alice in Zombieland and Through the Zombie Glass on offer, I didn't think twice about waving my bank card like a lunatic. Although I'm not a zombie fan in the slightest, I thought I could work with it because of Alice.

I was wrong.

It only took me 40 pages to realise that Alice and I? We weren't going to get along. She's sixteen and acts like a bratty eight year old, whilst her eight year old sister acts more mature and sophisticated. Pure role reversal. Not only is Alice bratty, but she failed to capture my attention by being selfish, dumb and an angsty teenager. She mentions how her family forgot her birthday four times, how they prefer her sister to her six times and how her father is an alcoholic eight times.

When her father's biggest fears come to fruition, this is when Alice goes, "Oh NO! IT'S ALL MY FAULT! I'M A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING WAH WAH WAH!"

Yes, you are. You fail at life. At EVERYTHING. Alice, you suck.

So yeah, take a big, fat DNF. Sometimes, I'll re-evaluate my DNFs and try to finish them, but I doubt I'll be trying Alice in Zombieland again any time soon.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)
Darynda Jones